Parents and their wee ones are invited to jump on board the free PlayTalkRead buses ‘Benji’ and ‘Bessie’ as they visit Perth and Kinross.
Designed as a free drop in playground, Benji and Bessie offer parents and carers a fun and relaxed environment to pick up exciting new ideas and tips to play, talk and read more with their little ones which will help make a positive difference to their health and happiness.
Benji will be stopping at:
· Kinross Primary School, Station Road, Kinross KY13 8TG from 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm on Monday 8th December
· Doodlebugs Nursery, Edinburgh Road, Bridge of Earn PH2 9PP from 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm on Tuesday 9th December
· St Johns School, North Inch Community Campus, Gowans Terrace, Perth PH1 5BF from 10am – 1pmand 2pm – 4pm on Wednesday 10th December
· Community School of Auchterarder, New School Lane, Auchterarder PH3 1BL from 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm on Thursday 11th December
· King Edward Street, Perth PH1 5UT from 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 4pm on Friday 12th December
Bessie will be stopping at:
· Pitlochry High School, East Moulin Road, Pitlochry PH16 5ET from 10am – 12:15pm on Monday 8thDecember
· Auchtergaven Primary School, Prieston Road, Bankfoot PH1 4DE from 1:45pm – 4pm on Monday 8thDecember
· Rattray Primary School, High Street, Rattray PH10 7DG from 10am – 12:15pm on Tuesday 9thDecember
· Alyth Primary School, Albert Street, Alyth PH11 8AX from 1:45pm – 4pm on Tuesday 9th December
· Park, Main Street, Methven PH1 3PT from 10am – 12:15pm on Wednesday 10th December
· Strathearn Community Campus, Pittenzie Road, Crieff PH7 3RS from 1:45pm – 4pm on Wednesday 10th December
· Guildtown Primary School, School Road, Guildtown, By Perth PH2 6BX from 10am – 12:15pm on Thursday 11th December
· Robert Douglas M Primary School, Spoutwells Road, Scone PH2 6RS from 1:45pm – 4pm on Thursday 11th December
· Invergowrie Primary School, 4 Errol Road, Invergowrie DD2 5AD from 10am – 12:15pm on Friday 12thDecember
· Inchture Primary School, Inchture PH14 9RN from 1:45pm – 4pm on Friday 12th December
On board, parents and carers of 0 – 3 year olds can enjoy all types of fun from interactive storytelling, song and rhyme sessions to easy craft activities. The qualified and experienced play leaders will showcase lots of great low-cost or free activities that can fit into parents’ daily routines.
Minister for Children and Young People, Aileen Campbell commented: “Playing, talking and reading is all about enjoying time with your wee one by incorporating every day, simple and inexpensive activities from the very earliest age. As a mum I know first-hand that enjoying activities together helps build bonds, bringing you and your wee one closer. Little ones also learn to play longer before getting bored, meaning less tears and less stress.
“Benji, Bessie and the PlayTalkRead website offer parents and carers a wealth of inspiration and ideas, which not only help little brains grow but are easy and fun for you and your 0-3 year old. Being active together is one of the best ways to keep your child happy and healthy and will likely be some of the happiest memories you and your child share. We’re looking forward to welcoming lots of mums, dads, grandparents, carers and their wee ones on board Benji and Bessie as they visit Perth and Kinross.”
Last year more than 16,000 parents and 22,700 children visited one of the 459 PlayTalkRead events held across Scotland. A massive 95 per cent of those felt the advice the buses offered was relevant to them and more than 70 per cent said they would play, talk and read with their children more as a result of visiting.
The PlayTalkRead roadshow will visit every local authority in Scotland as part of the Scottish Government’s Early Years campaign focusing on the first three years of children’s lives. Entry is free. You can see when the PlayTalkRead buses will next be in your area at: www.playtalkread.org/bus/
For more information – plus lots of handy tips and advice – visit www.playtalkread.org.